Take the Math Placement Assessment
Please review the instructions below before signing into the WSU Math Placement Portal
Before You Begin You Must:
- Be an enrolled or admitted undergraduate student at WSU Pullman.
- Have pencil and paper on which to work out the problems.
- Have your WSU Network ID and password.
- Have at least two hours to complete the assessment.
Caution:Solve all problems on the WSU MPA without assistance. Do not use any books or online resources, or ask for assistance from any other person. The WSU MPA is a way to gauge your current level of math skills and understanding. Students that place into a math course above their understanding are very likely to fail without the proper math preparation. As an admitted student, you are a full member of the Washington State University academic community and subject to the responsibilities of that community. If you violate University regulations, you are open to disciplinary action by the University.
- At the beginning of the WSU MPA, you will go through a brief tutorial about the system and interface. You will be shown how to enter different types of answers, how to use the ALEKS calculator, and how to graph something by hand.
- Do not use a textbook or calculator - the assessment has a built-in calculator which is available on certain questions.
- Enter your answers carefully. Once you submit your response to a question, you cannot return to that question to change the answer.
- Select "I don't know" only if you have no idea how to work a problem. If you select "I don't know" repeatedly, it will lower your score on the WSU MPA.
- If your computer locks up or freezes during the middle of the assessment, refresh the page in your browser. If that does not work, close your browser and log back in. The work you have already submitted will be saved and the assessment will pick up at the point you left off.