Pulling Rabbits Out of Hats
Using Mathematical Modeling in the Material, Biophysical, Fluid Mechanical, and Chemical Sciences- by David J. Wollkind and Bonni J. Dichone (2021)
- Includes examples on such cases as solidification of alloys, chemically-driven convection of dissociating gases, temperature-dependent predator-prey mite systems, multi-layer and two-phase fluid phenomena, viral-target cell interactions, diffusive and gravitational instabilities, and chemical, material science, optical, and ecological Turing patterns.
- Aims to make the process of quantification of scientific phenomena transparent.
- Is a hybrid semi-autobiographical account of research results and a monograph on pattern formation.
- Book preview by Taylor & Francis CRC Press.
Book Errata Here
Comprehensive Applied Mathematical Modeling in the Natural and Engineering Sciences
Theoretical Predictions Compared with Data- by David J. Wollkind and Bonni J. Dichone (2018)
- Provides an emphasis on the formulation and validation mappings of comprehensive applied mathematical modeling
- Includes a concentration on the simplification procedures required to make prospective models
- Can be used as a valuable textbook or reference
Book Errata Here
Given Lee Segel’s (mentioned prominently in the preface) adage, “Although there can only be a finite number of typographical errors in the proofs of a publication, it takes an infinite amount of time to find them all," errata will be listed below with corrections of typographical errors highlighted in red.
- Visit Dr. Bonni Dichone's Gonzaga University website for errata, extra figures not found in the book, and additional problems.
SIAM Pacific Northwest Section Meeting - October 18-20, 2019Seattle University hosted the 2nd biennial meeting of SIAM Pacific NW Section on October 18-20, 2019. The conference brought together Pacific Northwest applied mathematics in academia, national labs and industry. Professor Wollkind gave a talk on Fluid Mechanics: Systems and Models. This work has been published in Involve - a journal of mathematics, vol 12, no. 7 2019 (or you may click here).
Math 315 - Fall 2013
In 2015 Dr. Wollkind received the second annual ASWSU Cougar Award given on behalf of the ASWSU students to recognize one individual from WSU who has made a positive impact on the WSU-Pullman community.Click here to see photos from Dr. Wollkind's retirement party