MikTeX is a free version of TeX for Windows computers.
- Go to the miktex site at http://www.miktex.org/setup.html
to download the most recent version of miktex. It is typically about
24 MB in size, so you'll need a reasonably fast connection.
- Run the file that you have saved from the download. Click the "Next"
button as many times as required to have the program install. Go fix
yourself some coffee when it starts - it takes some time. Do not click
the "Cancel" button - some steps take quite a while, with
nothing appearing to happen - just be patient.
- Once the program is installed, use Wordpad or your favorite text editor
to create a .tex file. One good way to create the
LaTeX file is to use
Remember that TeX files must always have the
extension .tex. Make sure you save your file as plain text - not in
MS Word or RTF format.
- After you have a TeX file, double-click it. Windows should ask you
what program you want to use to open it. Surf to c:\texmf\miktex\bin
and click "latex.exe". When you click the OK button, latex
should run on your file. Henceforth, whenever you double-click a file
with extension .tex, latex should run on that file.
- The system should already be set up to use the dvi previewer. When
you double-click a file with extension .dvi, you should be able to view