COLLEGE OF ARTS AND SCIENCES Department of Mathematics and Statistics

Math Placement - FAQ

What if I have College Math credits, like AP, IB, or Running Start credits?

A: Freshman: All freshman students are encouraged to take the placement test and can talk to a math advisor at orientation. Transfer credits will still count, but students need to know whether or not they seem to be prepared for WSU Math.

The purpose of our placement process is to determine, based on your mathematical background and current mathematical ability, which math courses are appropriate for you. Past experience shows that the Math Placement Assessment may be the clearest indicator.

If you have math transfer credits and place below the level you need for a particular math course, please see a math advisor at orientation. Remember, placement is about being successful, not skipping courses. If the placement assessment places you below the level that you want, you need to review or possibly need to take a lower level course, in order to be more successful in your WSU Math course.

Transfers: All students who wish to enroll in a WSU Math course at or below the Calculus I level are encouraged to take the WSU ALEKS Math Placement Assessment. In particular, if your math credits were completed more than 18 months ago, we recommend that you take the placement assessment.