- What is a Complex Fraction?
- A complex fraction is a rational expression whose numerator and denominator are themselves rational expressions.
- Since the numerator and denominator of the complex fraction are fractions themselves, the numerator and denominator are each called secondary fractions.
- Simplifying Complex Fractions
- The steps for 2 methods of simplifying complex fractions are given here.
- Method 1: Multiplying by a Common Denominator
- Find the lowest common denominator of the two secondary fractions.
- Multiply both the numerator and denominator of the complex fraction by this lowest common denominator.
- Simplify (reduce to lowest terms) the resulting rational expression.
- Method 2: Simplifying Numerator and Denominator
- Simplify (reduce to lowest terms) each secondary fraction.
- Simplify (reduce to lowest terms) the resulting rational expression by the dividing rational expressions method shown in section 7.1.