- In the following formulas, a and b may be any number, variable, expression, or any combination of number, variable, and expression.
- Given an expression to factor:
- Identify the expression to be in the form of one of the left-hand-sides listed below.
- Factor the expression by the formula shown in the associated right-hand-side.
- Difference of Two Squares
- a2 - b2 = (a + b)(a - b)
- Perfect Square Trinomials
- a2 + 2ab + b2 = (a + b)2
- a2 - 2ab + b2 = (a - b)2
- Sum of Two Cubes
- a3 + b3 = (a + b)(a2 - ab + b2)
- Difference of Two Cubes
- a3 - b3 = (a - b)(a2 + ab + b2)