New Room: CUE 316
This course syllabus
contains important information not otherwise supplied on this website.
Getting good help can sometimes be frustrating. I am trying to make my self available by choosing varied office hours and being available by email. My email response time varies a lot so asking questions early is your best strategy. Sometimes you may have a complex question that would benefit by including a picture in email. This is fine, but please use reduced-size photos -- typically a 250kB picture is sufficient, while a 5MB picture can really bog down email.
Please note that all materials supplied by the instructor are under copyright restrictions and should not be disseminated or copied in written or electronic form except for your personal use in this course. Please keep this in mind when using the Course Textbook
- [Mon Aug 27] Finish reading Chapter 3.
- [Wed Aug 29] Chapter 4.
- [Fri Aug 31] Chapter 5.
- [Wed Sep 05] Chapter 6.
- [Fri Sep 07] Chapter 7.
- [Mon Sep 17] Chapter 8.
- [Wed Sep 19] Chapter 9.
- [Mon Sep 24] Chapter 10.
- [Wed Sep 26] Chapter 11 and Appendix A.
- [Mon Oct 01] Chapter 12.
- [Fri Oct 05] Chapters 13,14,Appendix B.
- [Mon Oct 08] Chapter 15.
- [Mon Oct 15] Chapter 16.
Here are some sample exercise solutions
from chapters 6 and 7. Keep in mind that lengthy answers are not necessarily better answers. Consider the brevity of my solutions and their focus on the current linear algebra concepts. And here are two more example proofs
. And, here are two examples
of how to show if a transformation is linear or not.
- [Due Date] Assignment
- [Fri Aug 24] Chapter 1, Exercises 1-7.
- [Mon Aug 27] Chapter 2, Exercises 1-6,10,12
- [Wed Aug 29] Chapter 3, Exercises 1-4,8
- [Fri Aug 31] Chapter 3, Exercises 10-14 and Vector Space Activity
- [Wed Sep 05] Chapter 4, Exercises 9,13,17
- [Fri Sep 07] Chapter 5, Exercises 2,4,8,12,13,16
- [Mon Sep 10] Chapter 5, Exercises 21-28
- [Wed Sep 12] Chapter 6, Exercises 16,24,25,31,36,39,42,43,49,50.
- [Fri Sep 14] Chapter 7, Exercises 11,13,14,15,24,27 (Also, know how to answer 5-8,21,23, but do not turn these in as homework.)
- [Fri Sep 21] Chapter 8, Exercises 1(a,b,c,g,h),2(a,b),3,11,14.
- [Wed Sep 26] Chapter 9, Exercises 15-19,33-35.
- [Fri Sep 28] Chapter 10, Exercises 1,2,4,5,8.
- [Wed Oct 03] Chapter 11, Exercises 1-4,7-10. Necessary code: tomomap.m
- [Fri Oct 05] Chapter 12, Exercises 1,3,5,7,8.
- [Mon Oct 08] Chapter 12, Exercises 10,13,15.
- [Wed Oct 10] Chapter 13, Exercises 1-8
- [Mon Oct 15] Chapter 14, Exercises 1,3,5,9,19; Chapter 15, Exercises 1-10 for Scenario B.
- [Fri Oct 19] Chapter 16, Exercises 1,3,8,11,12,13,14,25,26.
- [Mon Oct 22] Chapter 16, Exercises 27,28,29,46,47,48.
Midterm #1 Exam Details
Date: Friday September 14
Time: In-Class, 12:10-1:00
Material: Chapters 1-7.
Info: Closed-Book, Closed-Notes. Any necessary definitions and theorems will be provided. Emphasis will be on conceptual understanding, some mechanics, and ability to construct a clear, accurate and concise proof.
You should examine the cover sheet
for the exam as soon as possible.
(Optional) Midterm #1A Exam Details
Date: Friday October 12
Time: In-Class, 12:10-1:00
Material: Chapters 1-12.
Info: Closed-Book, Closed-Notes. You are expected to know relevant defintions and essential results of theorems. Emphasis will be on conceptual understanding, some mechanics, and ability to construct a clear, accurate and concise proof. This Midterm Exam is optional, and is being provided as an opportunity to improve your Midterm #1 score. If your score on Midterm #1A is better than your score on Midterm #1, then your Midterm #1 score will be replaced by the average of your scores on Midterm #1A and Midterm #1.
If you choose to take this optional Midterm Exam, you must confirm by email to me before noon on Tuesday, October 9. If you do not confirm on time, you cannot take the exam. In consideration of my time and planning, please confirm only if you fully expect to take the exam.
Midterm #2 Exam Details
Final Exam Details